Tree mulching services in and around Melbourne
Need quality mulch for your garden or landscaping project? Want to know that the mulch your using is free from weeds and toxic chemicals?
We live in a harsh climate, and we’re constantly reminded to be water wise in our landscaping projects. It’s why mulch has become such valuable material for a healthy, happy garden. But do you know where your mulch has come from? If you’re looking at mulch for sale in Melbourne, you want to make sure it’s helping your garden, not harming it.
Why is mulch important to a healthy garden?
So much more than just the top layer of dressing, mulch plays a vital role to keep gardens growing, including:
- Moisture retention – an absolute must for gardens in the summer months, a good layer of mulch will stop the ground drying out and prevent trees from becoming stressed due to dehydration. During the cooler months, it helps to keep warmth in ground for longer.
- Weed reduction – gone are the days of using black plastic on the ground to stop the growth of weeds. Time and research have proven that this does more damage to the plants, especially in the summer months as the earth heats to scorching temperatures and watering doesn’t penetrate far enough to cool it down. As a natural material, a substantial layer of mulch has the ability to stop the weeds reaching sunlight, while still allowing air circulation and effective watering.
- Soil enrichment – one of the greatest advantages of a good mulch is that it breaks down over time and becomes a part of the earth. This is why healthy mulch is vital to the overall health of the garden or landscape. Without a nutrient-rich soil or one that’s affected by chemicals, trees will struggle to grow to their full potential.
- Garden ecosystem – ever moved back the top layer of mulch to see things scurrying around under there. This is what you want. Not only do these creepy-crawlies help to break down the mulch to create better soil, they also encourage a natural ecosystem to flourish. More insects, more birds, more bees, more nature.
- Garden cohesion- last on the list of uses for mulch is aesthetics – how it makes the garden look. By using similar or contrasting colours or materials, mulch can be used to link different areas of the garden for a more cohesive and structured appearance.
What to consider when buying mulch in Melbourne?
When it comes to mulch, cheap isn’t always best. Here are our top tips when sourcing mulch for sale in and around Melbourne:
- Do you know the source?
Max Tree Services sell mulch from the trees they remove from their jobs. If the mulch can’t be used on the owner’s property, it’s taken away and used for sale. This means Max and his team check the quality of the soil, the trees and the mulch before passing it on to their customers.
- Is the mulch pest free?
Ever put a layer of mulch down only to find several weeks later little shoots poking through? Annoying right? Especially when mulch is supposed to reduce your weeding time in the garden. Not all mulches are created equal. Often when clearing large areas, all trees, bushes and shrubs go through the mulcher, including invasive weeds. Max Tree Services separate the weeds from the trees to make sure their mulch is pest free.
- Have you calculated the amount you need correctly?
Mulch is measured in cubic metres, not square or linear metres. When calculating how much you need multiply the length of the area, by the width and then by how high you want your mulch to be. Aim for a depth of around 20cm. The aim of the mulch is to provide moisture and protection to the root ball, so you want to make sure it’s distributed far enough to cover.
- What preparation do you need to do before it arrives?
Our advice is to
- Always make sure the area is as weed free as possible before you start.
- Water well to keep the moisture in the ground.
- Spread a nitrogen-rich fertiliser to help balance the soil (fungi and bacteria draw nitrogen from the mulch as they break it down, so it doesn’t enter the soil).
Who do Max Tree Services deliver mulch to in Melbourne?
With a range of clients across metropolitan Melbourne, Max currently has mulching contracts for:
- Community spaces
- Commercial landscaping
- Childcare centres (bark only)
Domestic gardens (also available as part of your regular pruning service.
Want to know more about how mulching can help your garden?
Get mulch for your landscaping project